Saturday, October 15, 2005

Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week


It came during Commander-in-Chief, but I'm showing great restraint by not calling the MATISoTVTW Mack's judicious, progressive leadership that makes me fall ever deeper in love with Mackenzie Allen/Geena Davis each week. And boy, do I want to.

But the Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week might also be the Most Merry Thing I Saw on TV This Week; after the C-i-C: created by Rod Lurie opening titles, the first commercial break gave us a triple punch of Christmas commercials! Bam! Bam! Bam!

Commercial One: Carnival Cruise Lines. A jolly, white family Christmas shops. "Beyond the Sea (yuletide remix)" is the background. "How do you wrap togetherness? Or put a ribbon around a memory? Can you even put a bow on fun?" It's snowing, and people hug each other. Fortunately, the narrator answers his questions: "You can; you will; when you surprise someone with a vaction from Carnival." And oh, after typing this, I just got why they chose "Beyond the Sea." Boats. Sea. That one should probably have been easier.

Commercial Two: K-Mart. They're having a sale on winter coats and scarves. The racially diverse kids and adults are building a snowman on the soundstage. There's nothing Christmas-y about it, I suppose, but you tell the Jewish kids that "Frosty the Snowman" is non-demoninational.

Commercial Three: 20th Century Fox (the logo card's been dressed with snowflakes!!). They're promoting their new film SJP in a Romantic Comedy or something. Whatever it's called, it is in the home-for-the-holidays genre and is out November 11.


Every year I can't contain myself and whip out the Christmas carols circa Halloween. And by every early December, I've already blown my load and am over Christmas. While everyone else grunts when Duane Reade starts decorating, I rejoice that the people who want my money say to me, "go forth, MTG, and celebrate this season." Hark, the Herald Advertisment Agencies Sing!

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about TOPMOD???????????????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home