Monday, January 30, 2006

Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week

I woke up this Saturday morning, and after brushing, peeing, and eating cereal like always, I turn on the FN. Here's the schedule:

10am--How to Boil Water: "Kick-off Can Dos"
10:30--Paula's Home Cooking: "Game Night: Appetizers"
11--Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: "Tailgate BBQ"
11:30--30-Minute Meals: "Home Field Advantage"
12pm--Everyday Italian: "Game Night"
12:30--Barefoot Contessa: "Canapes and Canvassed"
1--Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello: "Are You Ready for Some Football"
1:30--Good Deal with Dave Lieberman: "Sports Party"
2--BBQ with Bobby Flay: "Extreme Sports BBQ"

The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week came when I was flipping through the TimeWarner Guide looking at what everyone was cooking and saw:

12:30--Barefoot Contessa: "Canapes and Canvassed"

Clearly today's theme is "the big game," but not the Barefoot Contessa's, for today, she is working on a catering spread for her friend's opening at a "wonderful art gallery in East Hampton." While everyone else is making chili-centric meals, beer-infused dishes, recipes that have words like "touchdown" and "score" in their titles, Ina is making figs & prosciutto, spanokopita, cheese straws, and "[her] friend Miguel is making the most amazing fruit topiaries!"

I think the reason I love her so much today is because she's reminding me of me on my childhood sports teams. One of my parents' favorite stories is when in tee-ball I was playing the outfield. I was completely turned away from the bases wearing my glove over my face. The coach comes over with a "what's up," asking how I plan on catching a ball that comes my way.

"I have magical powers," says the little and *adorable* Matt. I just did not give a shit. I had my own 5-year old's equivalent to an East Hampton gallery opening to worry about.

And also, here in the middle of January, I'm really pining for this summer when Kevin takes Nick and me to his [parents'] house in Montauk. Pining so badly, in fact, that I'm in a Friendster group dedicated to the planning of hampt06ns. I have strong reservations with the word "fabulous," but I'm allowing myself to use it here. I mean, if I'm looking for an appropriate oppurtunity to say "fabulous," a land with mozzarella and tomato topiaries must be that.

2 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No crap, I actually saw that one. Part of me feels that the Barefoot Contessa always swims against the stream. Isn't that what we love about her? That's what I love anyway.

But if it were true, wouldn't she be thinner?

Oh, Ina, were that I lived in a sunny house in the hamptons.

Alas, alackaday.

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love picturing you as a five-year-old wearing your tee-ball glove over your face, Matty.

Completely perfect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home